Sunday, August 16, 2026

Educate Yourself: The Third Step in the IDEAS Process

Educate Yourself is the third step in the IDEAS Process. Learn how to research your idea, choose reliable sources, use AI and other tools wisely, avoid information overload, and learn enough to make a better next decision.

Educate Yourself, the third step in the IDEAS Process, showing research tools, learning notes, books, a laptop, and ways to research an idea.

Quick Summary

  • Learn enough to make a better next decision.
  • Do not rely on one source for everything.
  • Use AI, search engines, YouTube, books, libraries, courses, and experienced people for different kinds of learning.
  • Compare important information across reliable sources.
  • Separate facts from opinions.
  • Keep notes on what you learn and what still needs investigation.
  • Do not let endless research become an excuse to avoid action.

Curiosity Gives You Questions. Education Helps You Find Answers.

In Step One of the IDEAS Process, you identified your idea.

In Step Two, you began asking questions about it.

Now it is time to start answering some of those questions.

The goal is not to know everything.

The goal is to learn enough to understand your idea better and make a smarter next decision.

Need to Catch Up?

Start with Step One: Identify Your Idea.

Then continue with Step Two: Develop Your Curiosity.

What Do You Need to Know?

Before you start searching randomly, return to the questions you created during the curiosity stage.

Ask yourself what information would help you decide whether the idea deserves another step.

  • Has someone already done something similar?
  • Who might benefit from this idea?
  • What skills would I need?
  • What tools or equipment would I need?
  • How much might it cost?
  • Are there laws, rules, licenses, or regulations involved?
  • How long might it take?
  • What problems have other people encountered?
  • What do successful examples have in common?

Those questions tell you what to investigate.

Now you need to choose the best source for each question.

Use the Right Tool for the Question

One of the biggest mistakes people make today is expecting one tool to provide every answer.

It does not work that way.

Different questions require different sources.
Good research means knowing where to look.

Use AI to Help You Learn

AI is especially useful when you are beginning to learn about something unfamiliar.

You might ask AI to:

  • Explain a subject in plain language.
  • Help you understand unfamiliar terminology.
  • Create a list of questions you should investigate.
  • Compare possible approaches.
  • Organize what you already know.
  • Identify possible problems you have not considered.
  • Help you create a learning plan.
Example AI prompt:

"I am exploring an idea about __________. Explain the basic things I should understand before I move forward. Tell me what I should research, what questions I should ask, and what information I should verify using other sources."

AI can help you understand the landscape. Important facts should still be verified when accuracy matters.

Use Search Engines for the Wider Picture

Search engines are useful when you want to see what is already available on the internet.

Search for:

  • Similar products or services.
  • Businesses working in the same area.
  • Current prices.
  • Recent news.
  • Government rules.
  • Research reports.
  • Customer reviews.
  • Professional organizations.
  • Problems people complain about.

Do not stop after the first result. Compare several sources when the information matters.

Use YouTube When Seeing Helps

Some things make more sense when you watch someone do them.

YouTube can be especially useful for learning:

  • How to use software.
  • How to build or repair something.
  • How equipment works.
  • How someone performs a particular process.
  • How other creators approach a similar idea.
  • What mistakes beginners often make.

Watch more than one person when possible. Different people often explain the same subject in different ways.

Do Not Forget Books, Libraries, and Courses

The internet is fast.

Fast is not always the same as thorough.

A good book or structured course might give you something that ten quick searches do not: depth.

Libraries remain one of the best places to explore a new subject without spending much money.

And if you learn better through structured lessons, an online or local class might save you weeks of trying to piece everything together yourself.

Learn From Experienced People

Some knowledge lives in people's experience.

A person who has worked in a field for thirty years might answer a question differently from a website.

Ask people:

  • What do beginners usually misunderstand?
  • What mistakes should I avoid?
  • What would you do differently if you started today?
  • What should I learn first?
  • What is harder than it looks?
  • What part of this idea deserves more research?

Sometimes five minutes with the right person saves five hours of searching.

Use Reliable Sources When the Facts Matter

If your idea involves starting a business, the U.S. Small Business Administration provides guidance on researching, planning, and preparing before launching.

For business mentoring and educational resources, SCORE is another valuable resource.

For other subjects, look for government agencies, universities, professional organizations, respected nonprofits, and primary sources whenever accuracy matters.

Verify What Matters

Not every piece of information deserves the same level of verification.

If you are learning how to organize a garden shed, you do not need three government sources.

If your idea involves money, health, legal requirements, taxes, safety, or regulations, verification matters a lot more.

A Simple Verification Rule

The more important the decision, the stronger your sources should be.

Compare information.

Check dates.

Look at who published it.

Separate someone's opinion from something presented as fact.

Do Not Let Research Become Another Form of Procrastination

This is where smart people sometimes get stuck.

There is always another article.

Another video.

Another book.

Another question.

At some point, more information stops helping.

You need to decide when you know enough to take the next sensible step.

Ask yourself:

  • Do I understand the basic idea better than when I started?
  • Have I answered the most important questions?
  • Do I understand the biggest risks?
  • Do I know what I need to do next?
  • Would another hour of research meaningfully change my next decision?

If the answer is no, it might be time to stop researching and start doing.

Create a Simple Learning Record

Keep your research organized.

What I Learned:
What I Still Need to Know:
Sources I Trust:
Questions I Still Have:
My Next Decision:

Your 30-Minute Learning Challenge

Take the idea you have been developing through Steps One and Two.

  1. Write down the three most important things you need to learn.
  2. Choose the best source for each question.
  3. Spend no more than 30 minutes investigating them today.
  4. Write down what you learned.
  5. Identify one question that still needs more research.
  6. Decide whether you know enough to take a small action.

You are not trying to become an expert today. You are trying to become informed enough to move forward intelligently.

Continue With The IDEAS Process

Educate Yourself is Step Three of the five-step IDEAS Process.

Explore The IDEAS Process
Next Step

Act on What You've Learned

You have identified your idea.

You asked questions.

You learned what you needed to know.

Now comes the part that turns thought into experience.

You take action.

Continue to Step Four

You do not need to know everything.
You need to know enough to make a better next decision.

© 2026 Dennis Thomas | Senior Tech Simplified | All Rights Reserved
The IDEAS Process
```

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Ultimate Senior Technology Buying Guide for 2026

The Ultimate Senior Technology Buying Guide for 2026 Affiliate Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. A...